Public Resources for Genealogy research
STARTING YOUR GENEALOGY
What is Genealogy?
Genealogy is the study of family ancestral lines. Genealogists use oral traditions, historical records, genetic analysis, and other records to obtain information about a family and to demonstrate kinship or pedigrees of its members. The results are often displayed in charts or written as narratives. Some scholars differentiate between genealogy and family history by limiting genealogy to direct descendants and applying family history to all ancestors with broader life details and historical context.
Introductory Booklets and Genealogy Forms
GETTING TO KNOW "OLD" JEWISH CLEVELAND
Jewish Cleveland Immigration and History
Landmarks and Resources
Cemeteries and Obituaries
JEWISH CLEVELAND TODAY
CLEVELAND AND CUYAHOGA COUNTY
Ohio - Cuyahoga County & Beyond
USA Government Sites
Commercial Genealogy Sites
These resources offer both free and enhanced subscription services. Some may also be freely accessible from a library. Visit a listing’s home page or ask about genealogical resources at your local library for more information.
- Ancestry - the largest for-profit genealogy company in the world, it operates a network of genealogical, historical record and genetic genealogy websites
- Avotaynu – though it closed its doors in 2022, the once leading publisher of works for Jewish genealogy still has materials available
- Geni – empowers users to build a single world family tree
MyHeritage - a unique place where families meet online, communicate, share, explore and preserve their heritage with private family trees
JGSC Speakers and Books
- Copeland, Libby, The Lost Family: How DNA Testing is Upending Who We Are, Harry N. Abrams, 2020.
- Gross, Rachel B, Beyond the Synagogue: Jewish Nostalgia as Religious Practice, NYU Press, 2021.
- Klam, Julie, The Almost Legendary Morris Sisters: A True Story of Family Fiction, Riverhead Books, 2021.
Other Book Recommendations
- Rabinowitz, Richard, Objects of Love and Regret: A Brooklyn Story, Belknap Press, 2022.
Shapiro, Dani, Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love, Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, 2019.
- American Ancestors
- Family Tree Magazine
- Internet Genealogy
- National Genealogical Societal Quarterly
- Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
- Your Family History
- Your Genealogy Today